October 27, 2007

The Toshiba HD-A2 sub-$200 HD DVD player

I have a 50-inch 1080p set, and I'm debating whether or not to pick up the new Toshiba HD DVD player, the HD-A2. The price is finally right, but the problem is that it only produces up to 1080i. My further thinking is that this may not be a problem at all--that at my viewing distance of 8 feet, whether it's 720p, 1080i, or 1080p, my eye will see the same high definition picture. It's not much of challenge to get a hold of HD-DVDs, thanks to my Blockbuster Online subscription. In fact, Netflix and Blockbuster are about the only good thing the HD format war has got going for it, they've been the grease in the squeaky wheel. I remember how hard it used to be to get a hold of DVDs during the transition from VHS.

Link: Ars Technica article on the Toshiba HD-DVD player.

No comments: